How did I prepared myself for my long distance cycling of 2200 KM?

Long distance cycling is totally new to me until this 26th May 2018 when I started to cycle solo from Chennai to Delhi. This epic solo cycling expedition happened in a matter of a week's time as I was researching to attempt something big for myself in travel. Even though I'm a big fan of sighting flights on the sky, bicycle is something associated with me from my childhood itself.


To be frank, I didn't do any proper preparations at all and I don't brag about it too. My personal suggestion is that no other cyclist preparation might necessarily suit for other. It varies person to person depending upon each one's physical and mental capability. Particularly, the preparations I did could be the worst ever someone can do. So I advise not to prepare for yourself the way I did. Read further just to know how I planned and prepared for it.



Fitness is very important for this, How fit are you?

I am 27 years old, and believing myself that I am fit enough mentally to do something I want to do. The very conclusion of you being fit or unfit depends upon your own thinking about yourself, don't come to a conclusion of someone's judgement or assessment of yourself. What you believe is going to set your capability limits. Having common sense helped me how capable I am to attempt something big of this sort.

A resonating quote or thought from David Goggins


Mental Preparation! This is how I developed it:

I just researched online reading blogs about long distance cycling. I read articles about people who have successfully cycled long distance and also I studied what made a few to give up on their attempt. I didn't stick myself to read only about cyclists as I read about travelers who rode their cars from South India to Western Europe.

"It's so easy to be great nowadays, because most people are weak.", a quote by David Goggins. I read about David Goggins, who works on to make himself the hardest human being that god ever created. What he said resonated me so much that we are too weak and afraid to take risks in life. Stories like these taught me how little of an effort we are taking in life and motivates to push harder and farther.

Physical Preparation! The worst and never follow this:

Prior to this journey, the longest I had cycled with my 6 years old bicycle Firefox Fusion 2.6 is just around 50 KM, this happened two years back though. This 50 KM also I didn't pedal completely as my friend eased my pedaling by having his hand around my back and toed me at the same time pedaling on his bicycle as well. Though I didn't pedal all the way, it gave me confidence when I thought to pedal for 2200 KM.

One of the major incident which wasn't something that I did intentionally as a preparation. A sudden plan with friends to go for a swimming pool at Velacherry, Chennai gave me an idea about how much distance I can cover in an hour. The swimming pool was around 7 KM from my home and I reached  there by my bicycle in and around 25 minutes, just after having lunch. This gave me the confidence that I can clock 10 KM in 40 minutes and ended up cycling 10 KM in 50 minutes having my backpacks attached to the bicycle.

Daily Distance Planning:

Having no rush to complete this epic trip in a particular duration, I planned to cycled around 70 KM per day. The average distance I covered in my overall cycling from Chennai to Delhi is 80 KM per day.

Stop valuing others comment and take action:

Irrespective of all these I had the drive to push myself to attempt it and there was no self doubt. I was just afraid what others could tell if I tell them I am going to cycling to Delhi? So, I didn't inform anyone when I started other than my parents. I opened up to my friends and others only after reaching a particular distance on the road. If there is one thing I want you to learn from this post, it is just don't be afraid of others judgement. Do it for yourself without any worries.

Having read about how I planned and prepared for this long distance cycling, you must have got an idea now. Research more and let your common sense (no offense) decide what's best for you. Finally, don't waste too much time researching and planning rather get on the road with what you knew already and figure out yourself on the way. Having that rush to do it and believe you can do it and you will do it!

Author's Note

Like the article? If so, like my social media pages. In case you hate it, please do let me know in comments about where I sucked. Either way, it will help me improvise. Thanks.

Help me achieve my lifetime dream - Cycling solo from India to Western Europe

I have recently rode 2200 KM by bicycle for the first time and that inspired me to attempt even bigger things in life. I have decided that I will attempt solo cycling from Chennai, India to Western Europe in the near future. I am researching on to rope this epic ride with a social cause/charity work. Whatever you are funding me will help me on the road as well as some percentage of amount will go for the charity.

In case if you would like to support me on my travel, you can send sponsor through PayPal or Paytm (+919940621941). It is completely up to you on how much ever you would like to fund me. Any queries or clarifications? Please email me at imthebeginner@gmail.com

Don't be worried in case you were not able to sponsor me as you can still support my journey by sharing this blog with your friends and neighbors as it will help big time.

Comments

  1. Great achievement. Really motivating. Keep pushing yourself and keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback, Mr. Avishek.

      Delete
  2. Great Job... I'm personally motivated to do long distance now.
    I felt that MTB might not be suitable for long rides. But you proved it that it's possible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment